Members of the Cumberland Fire Department made their way down Dunsmuir Avenue in a small ceremony to officially move their equipment into their new fire hall last weekend.
On March 27, some of the members participated in moving trucks and hoses to their new hall, located at 4727 Cumberland Road.
Following 125 years in its previous location, the new hall will not only house the department’s equipment but also a generator which will help maintain operations in the event of a large-scale emergency in the community and provide auxiliary power. The new building also doubles as the emergency operations centre.
During the small procession, the original hose reel used by the department in 1895 led the way down the road pulled by members to its new structure.
Hon. Capt. Len Banks drove with Mike Williamson, the current fire chief in one of the trucks to the new hall.
The Village of Cumberland is paying for the new hall through borrowing, which received voter assent in December 2019 for the $4.2 million budget.
Click the video below by Rick Ward (Rickskopter.com) to see the full ceremony: