The Chilliwack Fire Department responded to a large fire at an apartment building downtown Friday afternoon.
Crews were on scene around 3:20 p.m. on Sept. 3 dealing with a blaze that reportedly started on the first floor of one of the three buildings at the Newmark Apartments complex in the 9400-block of Victor Street.
At least one witness, however, said the fire started on the second floor.
The building on fire was the one on Victor Street and the blaze was at the northwest side.
Warning: Video contains coarse language.
When crews arrived on scene, flames could be seen licking the balconies from the first floor all the way to the fourth floor of the four-storey building and heavy black smoke was billowing from the top.
More than 45 firefighters responded from Halls 1, 2, 4, 5 and 6.
“Crews secured a water supply from a nearby hydrant and deployed high volume hose streams which successfully and quickly knocked the fire down,” said assistant fire chief Chris Wilson.
The building had an automatic fire sprinkler system which activated and prevented the fire from spreading into the apartment units.
“While a portion of the building received some fire, smoke and water damage, the combined and timely efforts of fire crews and the automatic fire sprinkler system significantly limited the spread of this fast-moving fire and prevented several other units from being damaged,” Wilson said.
After the fire was extinguished, fire crews went into the building with several occupants to help them retrieve pets and essential items.
All occupants were able to safely exit the building and are being supported by the Chilliwack Emergency Support Services (ESS) team.
This fire is currently under investigation by Chilliwack fire officials.
There were no civilian or firefighter injuries reported.
Do you have something to add to this story, or something else we should report on? Email: email@example.com@PeeJayAitchLike us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.