This week in History

Events from the week of April 21 from decades gone by.

  • Apr. 20, 2016 9:00 a.m.

April 23, 1926

The old fountain at the CPR station is no more. The bowl has been covered with earth and transformed into a flower bed, and while the old landmark was in a way quite attractive, it is hoped that the converted spot will be more so. The fountain has been running for 16 years, erected by wharf man Andy Alcock, who was killed in the war, while on vacation in his native country of Austria. He also planted the cottonwood trees which are now of considerable height.

A very pleasant concert took place in the Nakusp Opera House on Thursday night under the joint auspices of the Nakusp Brass Band, the Boy Scouts and St. Mark’s Ladies Guild. Net receipts were $117, well worth the effort put forth. The Nakusp brass band opened the event with a lively march, followed by a voice solo by Mrs. F. Rushton. The “Bobbed Haired Bandit” by Misses Dilley, Stanley, Harvey, Hascarl, and Leveque met with prolonged applause. The scouts staged a series of exercises with a stick. They looked fine in their white trousers and khaki shirts and did their parts well. Dr. Emerson gave an instructive talk and lantern show. This was followed by another selection by the band and a shadow picture show by the scouts. Mrs. G. P. Horsley rendered a beautiful piano solo and E.E. Lamerton gave a beautiful coronet solo. Voice solos were also given by Miss Muriel Stanley and Miss Hildred Gardner which greatly pleased the audience. A difficult piano solo by Miss How was greeted with loud applause. Dancing followed the formal entertainment.

 

April 26, 1936

The provincial government has been giving serious consideration to the advisability of taking over and administering the entire educational system of the province, Hon. G.M. Weir, minister of education told the legislature Friday.

A new power grader is now employed on the local roads. It is for use in the Kaslo-Slocan district wherever needed, to supplement other equipment. W.B. Johnstone reports the roads from Nakusp to Nelson are now graded and in fairly good shape.

 

April 25, 1946

Burton honored returning soldiers with a Welcome Home banquet and dance in the dancing of the Burton Hotel. The chairman C.A. Marshall welcomed the boys and girls of the services and asked for two minutes of silence in respect to those who will never return. After the banquet R. Harding MLA took over as toastmaster and proposed a toast to the King. Mrs. F. Rushton of Nakusp then proposed a toast to the boys and girls of the district who had served in the armed forces. Glen McMullen responded to the toast for the boys and Miss Betty Sundstrom for the girls. Alphonse Guidon proposed a toast to the mothers, wives and sweethearts and Mrs. A. Guidon responded. George Walton proposed a toast to the veterans of World War I and to the Canadian Legion. Frank Rushton responded. Robert Baker proposed a toast to the ladies of the community and this was responded to by Mrs. J. Porter. At 12 o’clock the crowd was called to order for the dedication of the wreath of honour of our two local boys who paid supreme sacrifice…John Hall and Frank Green. Alphonse Guidon dedicated the wreath on behalf of the community. The wreath was placed beneath a beautiful roll of honour that had been especially made by Fred Mamchur.

 

April 19, 1956

At a general assembly at Nakusp High School, Toshi Uchyama was presented with an honorary testimonial from the Royal Canadian Humane Society of Canada. Constable. J. Hennebury made the presentation in the presence of Toshi’s schoolmates. The award was made in recognition of the part Toshi played in saving the life of foster father, Paul Henke, when the latter was attacked by a bull. Toshi drove off the maddened animal with a pitchfork and so allowed Mr. Henke to reach safety.

 

April 28, 1966

The former Beau Vista motel on Bay Street will be moved to a site being prepared on Broadway and will be renovated into a six unit single bedroom apartment building. This project is being undertaken by B.C. Hydro to ease the building needs of the community. Stan Fellows is under contract for them to complete the project. The Beau Vista was built by J.H. Clark in 1957 as a ten unit motel.

 

April 21, 1976

Captain Frank Sutherland died April 13 in Trail Regional Hospital. At the age of 19 he was a pilot on the S.S. Bonnington. He worked as a skipper on the boats in the Okanagan, Kootenay, Slocan and Arrow Lakes.

 

April 23, 1986

Shortly before 1 p.m. on Monday, Nakusp was inundated. The Mica Dam burst overnight and within nine and half hours the community had to be evacuated and everyone moved to safety. The whole disaster was an exercise by the Provincial Emergency Program to test the Mica Emergency Preparedness Plan.

 

Arrow Lakes News