A suspected mechanical failure of a motor closed the South Surrey Indoor Pool for a few hours Wednesday morning.
Maintenance crews noticed an “unusual odour” late Tuesday, and when the odour was still present early Wednesday, the 14655 17 Ave. facility was closed as a precaution, said Perry Fulop, a community services manager with the City of Surrey.
Staff investigated and discovered no chemical or chlorine leaks, and the odour was attributed to a burned-out motor or pump, Fulop said.
“It wasn’t anything that imposed risk to anybody, but we just wanted to be cautious to make sure,” he said.
The pool was closed from 5:45 to 9:30 a.m., and a number of early-morning programs and swim-team practices were cancelled.