Langford Fire Rescue was called to a small kitchen fire on Percy Place this week. A pot of oil was heating on the stove top and was left unattended. Noise from the kitchen alerted the resident whom found the pot on fire, burning up the wall. The fire resulted in about $5,000 worth of damage to the suite and no one was injured.
But the Langford department is using the incident as a reminder for all residents not to leave cooking unattended and to make sure smoke alarms are in working order. Assistant Chief Chris Aubrey said if you do have a pot that catches fire, use a lid to carefully cover the pot and turn off the heat. Leave the where it is and call 911. He added that you should never try to move the pot as it could spill causing serious injuries.