Things are looking up at Kimberley Alpine Resort. Not only is the snow finally falling just in time for Christmas, but the 125-unionized staff of Kimberley Alpine Resort, members of USW Local 1-405, voted overwhelming in favour of accepting the new three-year deal which will expire October 31, 2019.
This set of negotiations went smoothly according to lead negotiator Jeff Bromley, of the Steelworkers, and was ratified last week after two days of voting.
The following are the details of the contract:
• Wages – 5% increase over three years (2%, 1.5% and 1.5%)
• Increase in vacation allotment to four weeks and 8% for employees with 10 years’ continuous service and at least F/T in Winter Season and P/T in Summer Season
• Benefit Rate Increase – A $0.02/hour increase to $0.52/hour
• In the event of a partial closure (lift down, run closure, lack of snow) all pro patrollers will be utilized before volunteers
• Year-round employees do not have to submit notice of recall
• Probationary employees will be scheduled and offered work by date of hire
• Improved Union Leave language
• Chairlift Operator, Attendant, Summer Grounds Maintenance, Summer First Aid Attendant now receive same rate as Winter position
• Brushing added to Summer Grid at $15.95/hour
• Parks Facilities Coordinator Classification – Now receives Chairbase Attendant Rate at $15.16/hour
• Establishment of EFAP (Employee Family Assistance Program) process
• Improvement to Tools and Equipment allowance to $45/season; Cooks and Kitchen Staff eligible for same benefit for CSA approved footwear
• Resort to provide CSA approved helmets for Patrollers at cost
• Employee Ski Pass now eligible until end of season at Kicking Horse and Fernie until end of those resorts’ season.