Eighteen homes have been evacuated in Kaleden the wildfire that broke out late yesterday (July 5) afternoon.
An additional 165 properties have been placed under an advisory Evacuation Alert, which covers the entire southern half of Kaleden.
The 6.5-hectare fire, started along Kaleden’s Oak Ave. is being fought by the Kaleden Fire Department with support from the BC Wildfire Service and the Penticton Fire Department. According to the BC Wildfire Service, 35 firefighters and three helicopters are working on the fire.
Environment Canada has issued a special weather statement for the South Okanagan and Similkameen, advising that an extended period of hot weather is expected. Afternoon temperatures will rise a couple of degrees each day this week, with daytime maximums climbing into the upper 30 C range on Thursday through the weekend.
The heat, combined with the warm and dry weather from June will increase the fire danger rating.
All residents and visitors evacuated due to this fire are asked to register with Emergency Social Services in the Penticton Community Centre at 325 Power St. If you are unable to register in person, you can do so by phone at 250-809-6561.
Evacuated residents should close all windows and doors and shut off all gas and electrical appliances, other than refrigerators and freezers. Gates should be latched but not locked. For their safety, pets should be taken in pet kennels or on a leash. Critical items (medicine, purse, wallet, and keys) should be taken only if they are immediately available.
Residents are asked to gather family members and any neighbours in need of assistance together. And try to reduce the number of vehicles using local roads. Do not use the telephone unless you need emergency service.
For a complete list of properties under the alert visit www.rdos.bc.ca and click on ‘2017 EOC’ on the top right-hand side.
What to do when placed under an Advisory Evacuation Alert 2
The homes under evacuation orders are:
- 278 Ponderosa Avenue 132 Maple Avenue
- 319 Ponderosa Avenue 133 Maple Avenue
- 302 Ponderosa Avenue 200 Maple Avenue
- 309 Oak Avenue 202 Maple Avenue
- 331 Oak Avenue 197 Tamarac Avenue
- 345 Oak Avenue 213 Tamarac Avenue
- 349 Oak Avenue 575 Linden Avenue
- 361 Oak Avenue 585 Linden Avenue
- 387 Oak Avenue
- 433 Oak Avenue
If you are in the area covered by the evacuation advisory, the RDOS recommends you:
- Gather essential items such as medications, eyeglasses, valuable papers (i.e. insurance), immediate care needs for dependents and, if you choose, keepsakes (photographs, etc.). Have these items readily available for quick departure.
- Prepare to move any disabled persons and/or children.
- Move pets and livestock to a safe area.
- Arrange to transport your household members or co-workers in the event of an evacuation order. If you need transportation assistance from the area please call 250-492-0237.
- Arrange accommodation for your family if possible. In the event of an evacuation, the reception centre will be opened if required.
- Monitor news sources for information on evacuation orders and locations of the reception centre.