House fire displaces two residents

NANAIMO – Couple displaced by fire and smoke damage to north Nanaimo home.

A fire at a home in the 700 block of Isle View Place has displaced two people and injured their pet cat.

The fire happened Sunday shortly before 3 p.m. when the couple were out for a walk, said Rick Kwasnecha, Nanaimo Fire Rescue fire prevention officer.

The fire was accidental and the cat is being treated at a veterinary hospital and is recovering, Kwasnecha said.

The blaze was contained to one room, but the house suffered heavy smoke damage throughout.

The home is insured and it’s expected the owners will be displaced for possibly two months while repairs and restoration is carried out.

In a separate incident, an attached garage and a vehicle were damaged when the vehicle caught fire at a home in 3200 block of Shearwater Drive in the Stephenson Point area of Nanaimo on Thursday at about 7:20 p.m.

No one was hurt, fire damage was restricted to the garage and its contents, Kwasnecha said, adding the fire was sparked by a mechanical malfunction in the vehicle.

Nanaimo News Bulletin