Chevron evacuated

'Smell of smoke' at Chevron gas station on Highway 97

  • Dec. 17, 2015 7:00 a.m.
A small fire was extinguished and carbon monoxide was detected at the local Chevron station on Dec. 10.

A small fire was extinguished and carbon monoxide was detected at the local Chevron station on Dec. 10.

Staff and customers had to leave a local gas station for their safety as emergency crews investigated the presence of carbon monoxide on Dec. 10, and a small fire had to be extinguished at the same location later that day.

100 Mile House Fire-Rescue was called out to the local Chevron station on Highway 97 at approximately 7 a.m. for a “smell of smoke”.

Upon arrival there was no visible smoke or fire, explains 100 Mile House Fire-Rescue chief Roger Hollander. However, gas detectors indicated the presence of carbon monoxide inside the store. Appliances were shut down as a precaution and thermal imaging cameras were used, but the source of the carbon monoxide was not located. 100 Mile House Fire-Rescue left maintenance crews tending to repairs.

Later that day, at approximately 1:40 p.m., 100 Mile House Fire-Rescue was called back as maintenance crews discovered a small electrical fire caused by a wall heater.

Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire and prevented the fire from spreading further into the building.

Maintenance crews were able to repair the building so it could re-open to staff and customers.

 

100 Mile House Free Press