Accused says he knows identity of real killer

Man charged with murder of Princeton woman says he pled guilty to access better medical care

  • Feb. 5, 2013 7:00 a.m.
Roger Badour is charged with the Nov. 8, 2011 murder of Gisele Duckham in Princeton.

Roger Badour is charged with the Nov. 8, 2011 murder of Gisele Duckham in Princeton.

A man who admitted in December to killing Gisele Duckham of Princeton now says he knows who the real killer is, has video related to it and is not getting proper medical care while in custody at the Kamloops Regional Correction Centre.

Roger Badour, 64, admitted in B.C. Supreme Court in December that he shot and killed Duckham and fled the scene. He was arrested on the evening of Nov. 8, 2011 when Penticton RCMP pulled over the vehicle he was driving on Main Street for a traffic violation. Police found firearms and a small amount of marijuana in the car and Badour has been in custody ever since.

Badour continued to tell Justice Robert Powers he was pleading guilty so he would be sent to federal prison, where he believes he would get better medical care. Powers was concerned the guilty plea was not voluntary and adjourned the matter, telling Badour to contact legal aid to have a lawyer assist him.

On Monday, Badour was back in court before Justice Hope Hyslop. Crown counsel Lorne Fisher noted Badour was in court without legal representation

Wearing headphones because he has hearing loss, Badour said he had made several phone calls to legal aid “because the judge said he’d give me a lawyer, but a lawyer didn’t come.”

Badour told Hyslop he is only allowed an hour a day to use the phone and sometimes that hour fell outside regular working hours, making it difficult to contact legal aid.

He said during one conversation with legal aid, he was given another phone number to call in Penticton, but that person’s message system indicated it was full.

At one point during his address to the court, Badour said he knows the identity of the real murderer — “but I’m not going to say.”

He said he had video related to it and that he had been working as security for the person who he claims committed the murder.

“I don’t mean to be blackmailing,” Badour told Hyslop, “but I need to see a doctor.”

Badour said he has been refused treatment for cancer, medication he requires for a bipolar condition is missing and his requests to KRCC staff have been met with assurances he is receiving the medicine he requires.

Badour offered to show Hyslop lumps on his body, describing one as having grown from the size of a pencil eraser to four times that size.

He told Hyslop he is “sick and tired of halfway houses and I’m doing this guilty plea to get off parole and back into prison.”

Hyslop adjourned the case to Feb. 12, to give Fisher time to make the necessary contacts and be prepared to report back to her.


Penticton Western News

Pop-up banner image