Start the New Year off with a fresh start; get active and involved at the Kent Street Activity Centre. By purchasing a membership for the year, you have access to over 16 fabulous activity groups, as well as discounts off of registered programs.
Are you considering becoming a member but not sure what we have to offer? Drop down to the centre and pick up a visitors pass that entitles you to try out three activity groups before purchasing a membership. Friendly staff and volunteers can answer all your questions and show you around the busy centre. We look forward to meeting you soon!
• A new walking meditation program called “Energy Bagua” begins Friday, Jan. 22, 10-11:30 a.m. at the White Rock Community Centre. Experience improvements to overall health and sense of well-being. No experience necessary. Call 604-541-2199 to register and for more information.
• Daytime Health Talks at the Centre for Active Living are free to members and $6 for non-members. Upcoming talks include: Understanding Arthritis, Jan. 12; Fungal Infections, Feb. 2, Managing Chronic Pain, Feb. 9; and Insomnia, Feb. 18. Call 604-541-2199 for more information and to register.
• Do you have a life story you would like to share with your children or grandchildren? Whether it is a whole life autobiography or a slice-of-life memoir, discover how to put it all together and contribute to a legacy of history, heritage and understanding. The Level 1 class begins Tuesday, Jan. 19, 7-9 p.m., and the level 2 class begins Thursday, Jan. 21. Call 604-541-2199 to register.
• Would you like to introduce more variety into your meals but not sure how to get started? Join Chef Pat Faulkner for four cooking workshops at the Kent Street Centre. The series includes Lunch in Italy, Jan. 28; Food Truck Food Jan. 30; Lunch in India on Feb. 25; and Delicious Irish Fare on Saturday, March 12. Call 604-541-2199 to register.
• The Fresh and Lively Luncheons are back in the New Year. Enjoy delicious food with new friends and fantastic entertainment. The first luncheon is scheduled for Friday, Jan. 8 and transportation is available to help those who are unable to make it to the centre on their own. Call Seniors Come Share Society at 604-531-9400 to register.
• Drop down to Kent Street Activity Centre on Jan. 6 for the Wednesday night dance in the auditorium. Doors open at 7 p.m. and Greg Hampson will be on stage from 7:30-10:30 p.m. Everyone 50+ is welcome.
The Kent Street Activity Centre, located at 1475 Kent St., is open to people 55 years of age or better. For more, call 604-541-2231.