The Family LawLINE has expanded from being a brief advice line to include additional telephone appointments.
Family LawLINE is a service provided by the Legal Services Society to provide legal advice and support to people representing themselves through all stages of family court and collaborative processes.
All services are provided over the telephone and are available province wide, with a focus on smaller, rural communities.
The Family LawLINE provides:
• Follow up appointments with the same lawyer
• Information on the court process
• Assistance preparing documents for court (provincial and Supreme)
• Coaching to help clients prepare to represent themselves in court and other collaborative processes
• Interpreters for clients who need service in a language other than English
• Referrals to other services
Documents can be reviewed and exchanged through fax or email.
Coaching will help the client understand the law relevant to their particular case, make more effective court appearances, present evidence properly, prepare for negotiation and settlement, and use Public Legal Education and Information (PLEI) tools.
Clients must qualify financially, have an eligible family law issue, and not already be working with a lawyer.
They can call the Legal Services Society provincial call centre at 604-408-2172 (in Greater Vancouver) or toll free 1-866-577-2525 to find out if they are eligible for this service.