The 11th Harrison Art Show was amazing! So many colourful paintings drew the attention from visitors locally and from other parts of the world. It was encouraging to learn that many people have been attending this show annually.
The Art Show was very enticing! Forty-three talented artists displayed approximately 350 paintings with varied topics. The artists’ stories were told through carefully designed pieces of artwork. It is so impressive to be able to have the opportunity to view each piece as they are unique unto their own.
Some examples of exhibits included pictures of birds, boats, etc. with glass accents that gained their form from crashing waves on the Hawaiian coast. Another display was a painting of an awesome horse that commemorated Canada’s 150th birthday. The originality of the clocks engineered from computer parts received attention from the visitors too. Each and every artist should be proud of their work which received recognition during the show. Congratulations to everyone!
The Featured Artist of this year’s show was Betty Block, a longtime resident of this area. Betty is an established popular artist. So many people have purchased her diverse pieces with great enthusiasm to be treasured for many years to come. It was great to become involved in Betty’s story through the wonderful collage that showed her life from the beginning of her artistic career through to the present.
This Art Show would not be possible without the help and diligence of all the volunteers. Their commitment is mind boggling, particularly those whose challenge was to hang all the paintings. Their creative side truly came into play. Sincere thank you to all!
The Harrison Art Show Committee extends their gratitude to all the donors who supported the Free Draw. Congratulations to the winners!
• Agassiz/Harrison Printers & Stationers – L. Tome – Surrey
• Black Forest Restaurant – Greeta Dhingra – Surrey, Pat Price – Richmond
• Canwest Art Gallery on the Lake – Fowzul Razeen – Surrey
• Chuck & Kitty’s Country Café –Diane Dovey – Delta
• Cornerstone Custom Picture Framing – P. Cruickshanks – Agassiz
• Julie Anne’s Art & Custom Framing – J. Bigelow – Harrison
• Killer’s Cove Boat Rentals – J. Paxton – Delta, J. Hicks – Harrison, D. McNair – Maple Ridge
• Laura Levitsky, Artist – Patti & Jim Price – Mission
• Muddy Waters / Baskin Robbins – H. Sigismund – Harrison/Richmond
• Old Settler Pub – P. Proudfoot – Abbotsford, S. Dolling – Surrey
• Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory – B. Baille – Agassiz
• Ruby Creek Art Gallery – V. Chadburn – Chilliwack, E. Evans – Chilliwack
• Silvano’s Restaurant – E. Raymond – Mission
• The Living Room Boutique – L. Balzer – Port Moody
The Harrison Art Show was created to bring an appreciation and understanding of the arts to the community and to support the artists. When one entered Memorial Hall, it seemed like a magical fairy tale show, allowing the opportunity to view the talents of the artists who created great beauty and interest.
“The secret of success is constancy to purpose.”
Benjamin Disraeli (1870)